Friday, May 8, 2009

Rib's for the Kid's

I'm surrounded. When I head south I drive past Smitty's restaurant with its "Kid's Eat Free" sign, and when I head north I drive past Ricky's restaurant with its "Rib's" sign. I'm most offended by Ricky's sign, because just before they got "Rib's" wrong they got "Burgers" right! At that point the person writing the text for the sign (after all, three whole words and the first 2 fairly long ones) must have become tired, fallen asleep on his/her pen, and accidentally made an apostrophe-like smudge between the b and s, which the sign maker in turn misinterpreted. At least that's what I'm hoping. I admit I don't know how the sign making process works, but surely between marketing people, copy writers and sign makers, someone knew this was wrong...


Ugh!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it! Now us word nerds that merely live in your shadow can comment on this too !!

    I canna say (in my best Scottish -- cause they're thrifty -- accent) how much my OUTRAGE goes up relative to how much it must 'ave cost for a particular sign showing these sort of typos.

    In other words, the more the value, the more I wonder how can they NOT CARE enough to have a proofreader? You just gotta wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean seriously, a printed awning? That's gotta be a few coins. Gad! Double GAD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being the first person to comment on my blog.... and thanks for reminding me I'm not alone in my outrage!!

    ReplyDelete