Monday, April 4, 2011

Hannah's Post, and 2 Just For Fun

Hannah forwarded this to me - the apostrophes are great, but the comma makes all the difference:



It save lives... I wonder if we could start a postering campaign and plaster these far and wide as a warning to those who don't take us punctuation nerds seriously? SEE? This is life or death stuff we're talking about here!

Okay, I have 2 other quirky things to share that don't belong here at all, but which gave me a laugh. First, I have to sheepishly admit that my sister and I have been going through a phase of reading trashy romance novels and mailing them to each other when we're done. Both images are from books she sent to me. This first one is all about the artwork - I've heard that drawing hands is one of the most difficult aspects of creating art. Proof positive:


Okay, that's hard to see. Here's a close-up (sorry, a bit fuzzy):



Is that... his thumb? Egads! That must've been a terrible accident. Or does he have 6 fingers and that's his index finger kinked up over her hand? That would (sort of) explain why he has his wedding ring on his middle finger.  [Okay, I've spent entirely too much time studying this. I've tried to imagine that what I thought was his pinky is actually his thumb, I've tried to make my hands fit together like theirs with my "girl hand" pinky tucked away like the bride's, and I've concluded a few times that our hero, Cody, had polio as a kid and I'm making inappropriate fun of a cripple.]

My other bit of fun is a line of text from a 1972 Harlequin romance with a British heroine. She's an emergency ward nurse who, at one point, has to deal with an abused baby. I've highlighted a sentence from the scene just after:



Well, I don't know if tea and battered baby taste good together either, so I'd probably hold off on mixing flavours too.

[As an aside, because I love asides and because I've already crossed the family-friendly line for this post, the author's name is Betty Neels; when my partner Craig saw the book, he commented, "Betty Neels? I just bet she does..."]

No comments:

Post a Comment